Car Accident Statistics in the U.S. (Infographic)
Guest infographic by Raj Vardhman
Automobile accidents are the leading cause of death among healthy U.S. citizens. As a result, tens of thousands of drivers sustain fatal injuries in a single year. And nearly 2.5 million drivers receive serious or permanently disabling injuries.
Car accident statistics show these numbers have been rising in recent years despite improvements in automobile safety features. The United States has more than 220 million licensed drivers, and they risk their lives every time they enter an automobile as driver or passenger.
We’re all about putting the odds in your favor. But first what do the statistics tell us?
Here’s a few car accident statistic highlights
Be sure to review the infographic below for more.
- Nearly 5 million crashes are reported every year. (An estimated 10 million go unreported.)
- Every day more than 90 Americans die in car crashes (for a total of about 38,000)
- Of those almost 8,000 are young drivers ages 16 to 20
- And more than 1,600 are children younger than 15
- On average about 2 million drivers experience a permanent injury every year.
- Of the crashes resulting in a fatality, the most common causes are:
- drunk driving (40%),
- speeding (30%), and
- irresponsible driving (33%).
Put the odds in your favor
1. For starters, it is extremely important to purchase the proper auto insurance. Many health insurance policies don’t cover treatment for injuries sustained in automobile accidents. To ensure that you, your passengers and everyone else involved receives proper treatment after an accident, make sure your auto insurance covers bodily injury and medical treatments.
2. Then in the car, make sure everyone is buckled up for every drive and children are properly restrained according to car seat best practices not based on state car seat laws. (Most crashes happen within a few miles of your home.)
3. And remain focused on your driving and stay aware of what is going on around you while you are driving aka no distracted driving.
Check out the car accident statistics below – and drive safely!
Published with permission. We cut parts of this graphic to keep focused on car accident statistics in general instead of specific population segments. To view the entire graphic go here.
Raj Vardhman is Head of Marketing & Tech at carsurance.net. He’s a self-made white hat SEO expert and WordPress virtuoso—passionate about developing new SEO strategies with nominal budgets on WordPress. Raj loves designing, traveling, photography, fabulous food, and even better conversation.
Copyright 2019 Safe Ride 4 Kids. All rights reserved. You may not publish, broadcast, rewrite or redistribute this material without permission. You are welcome to link to Safe Ride 4 Kids or share on social media